One of my newer pieces is not exactly new at all. I have been working on the fabric for this piece for a long time. I began with cotton velvet which I dyed, discharged and overdyed. I machine embroidered the pieces and then hand embroidered them heavily in areas with raised chain band, french knots and seeding stitches in various fibers. I didn't yet know what I would do with the fabric so it sat for a while in my studio. Later on I added a layer of hand dyed spunbonded fiber, which I needlefelted into the velvet, then heat distressed in areas to expose the embroidery. Lastly I heat embossed other areas of the fabric.
I originally wanted to make a pair of sisters.
I wasn't happy with the blue sister's face. I gave her a new face and she looked older, more like a mother than a sister to the girl in red.
Mother and daughter would have been fine, but somehow I felt that a third generation was needed. I had thought of making a "maiden mother crone" piece for a long time. I don't really like the word "crone" to describe an older woman so I'm calling her a matriarch instead.
And it has a nice sound to it: Maiden Mother Matriarch
I added the cape, made of hand dyed silk matelasse, to tie the piece together.
Some of the embroidery detail:
This photo shows the details of the machine and hand embroidery, the heat distressed spunbonded fiber and the embossed portions.
I have one more piece of this fabric left. I wonder what I should make....